Friday 24 August 2012

Arctic circle birding

Arrived in Kangerlussuaq this morning following my flight on Air Greenland from Copenhagen. I have a few days of briefings and meetings before heading NW to join my ship on Monday. A chance to build my Arctic circle birding list- raven, snow bunting, lapland bunting and redpoll sp. all showed up but all remained distant and elusive. No real opportunity to get good shots of anything with the exception of a snow bunting. Nice to see some different scenery however!

typical willow scrub habitat

downtown Kangerlussuaq

snow bunting


view of the local hills

airport hotel with Greenlandic flag- a representation of sunrise over the ice cap.

Hopefully I will get a chance to get some more bird photos before I leave this unique place!

No comments:

Post a Comment