Sunday 14 April 2013

vis mig flurry

It has been quiet of late with just the terns obviously flying north. Today was better with a kestrel, 2 turtle doves, 2 collared doves, a very nice garden warbler and a pipit sp. I think it is probably a very worn and abraded (from the desert sand) tree pipit? The pink bill looks right and the hind claw is relatively short but in truth I struggled to ID this one. I often struggle to ID birds on a ship- the habitat gives no clues!

I have been at sea for sixty days and am due off in 2 or 3 days time- can't wait for a cold beer and the chance to get back to the British isles for some quality spring birding!

16.04 update- thanks to Kriss Webb (Scilly spider), and Paul Stancliffe (BTO migration blog) for IDing the pipit as a Tawny

garden warbler

Tawny pipit

turtle dove

collared dove

kestrel

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy, your pipit is a Tawny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great- I have not seen that species before- I'll have to read-up more when I get home. Many thanks for taking the time to assist with the ID. I hope you are getting some good arrivals in the IOS by now! cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete